What is Six Sigma and how can it help you improve your organization’s communication processes?
According to www.isixsigma.com, “Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects in any process – from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.”
I earned my Six Sigma Green Belt certification in 2004 by improving our employee newsletter. Six Sigma can be applied to all of your communication processes to help improve costs, engagement and productivity.
If you’re looking for ways to improve your public relations efforts, here is a list of “Six Sigma Project Ideas for PR” created by Mark Weiner, CEO of PRIME Research, email@example.com
This list was published in IABC’s January/February 2004 Communication World. See attached article.
Six Sigma PR_IABC_CW 2004.
Six Sigma Project Ideas for PR
- Reduce time for press release approval.
- Improve media targeting (identify media that have proven reach among your target audience).
- Assess journalists’ preference and satisfaction with current PR initiatives.
- Assess “internal client” preferences and satisfaction with current PR initiatives.
- Improve the ratio of releases sent versus releases used.
- Improve the ratio of placements featuring critical messages.
- Improve the ratio of placements featuring a company spokesperson.
- Improve the ratio of stories featuring visuals or graphics.
- Improve the ratio of stories that are either exclusives or feature-length.
- Improve the ROI of events and event sponsorships.
- For agencies, improve percentage of billable hours.
How do you use Six Sigma principles to improve communication processes at your organization?